I'm glad you're here.

Welcome to my blog! I'm so excited to share with you! Thank you for your prayers, your support, and your encouragement. It means a lot to me, the other volunteers at Children of the Promise, and especially the dear little ones I get to work with. :)



Tuesday, March 2, 2010

To good to be true? Nope. Definitely true.

Dear Friends and Family,

I can't wait to fill you in on what has been happening in my life lately. Many of you have been praying with me as I searched for a nursing job. Well, God has answered our prayers and has set a "job" opportunity before me that is more exciting, and closer to my heart, than I could have ever imagined. I get the privilege of volunteering as a nurse at an infant care center in Haiti. It is amazing what God will do when you entrust Him with your future. I encourage each one of you to remember that God has a special plan for your life that is exciting, unique, and intricately intertwined in the kingdom of God. Don't settle for less!



Where am I going?

In a few hours, I will be leaving the Ft. Lauderdale, Florida airport in a small plane that will land in Cap Haitien, Haiti. I will be volunteering with Children of the Promise, a non-profit, non-denominational, Christian organization that runs an infant care center in Cap Haitien. Staff from Children of the Promise will pick me up from the airport and we will travel to the site. I will live on Children of the Promise property in the "volunteer house." I will try to give a more complete description of what I will be doing in the next section of this post. Feel free to check the http://www.childrenofthepromise.org/!! You will see pictures of the "volunteer house" and the "baby house(s)", pictures of the staff, pictures of the babies.. and a description of the organization and how you can get involved.



The mission of Children of the Promise is to promote the physical, spiritual, and emotional well-being of children in the community (I got that lovely description from their website. ;)) By having an infant care home staffed with field directors, adoption coordinators, a nurse, maintenance workers, Haitien nannies, and other volunteers, COTP can really provide for the needs of orphaned infants in a big way. I'm really excited to get to play a part in the service they are providing!


What will I be doing?

Good question! I will have better insight and an answer to this question in a few days. I do know that I'll be loving infants and toddlers while paying special attention to their health safety, growth and development, and present medical needs. But I'll let you know more specifically what that looks like in future posts.

How did this happen?

This is a long story.. with a lot of details that I think are AWESOME. But, i'll do my best to keep it short.


Have you ever been at a place in your life where you felt completely at peace, like you were exactly where God wanted you? That's where I am at right now. I wish I had started blogging sooner so that you would be able to see God at work in all the little details. It really is amazing.

Without going into too much detail I will try to give you the basic outline of how this opportunity came to be.

Ever since returning from my semester abroad (I studied community health nursing in South Africa), I knew I wanted to continue to work with vulnerable populations in under served nations. While searching and applying to nursing jobs here in the States, I remember praying for guidance and help with applications and interviews. But sometimes, I would sit in front of the world map on my wall with a face full of tears, a broken heart, and a stream of images running through my mind of the sick and dying in South Africa and I would change my pray just a little. (Shh... that crying business is a secret!) "God," I would say, "if there is a way for me to serve people like these, PLEASE open those doors." I share that just to say that I think God sees the desires of our hearts, and remembers.

Not long after the earthquake in Haiti, I got a post on my facebook wall from Ashley Symens, fellow alumna from Azusa Pacific University's School of Nursing. It was so out of the blue! She told me about an email her mom had received from an orphanage in Haiti that was in need of nurses. I thanked her profusely for thinking of me and jumped on the opportunity that she regretfully had to pass up due to her own job commitment. Praise the Lord, I'm unemployed!, I thought to myself.


I've thought that very thought a number of times in the past few months as I have had the opportunity to spend quality time with family and friends! I'll give a little synopsis of what I've been up to these last few months for those of you I don't see as much. After graduation in May, I spent 3 amazing months working as an RN for Camp Friendship and Camp Eden Wood in Minnesota. After camp I had the opportunity to travel through Arizona, Nevada, and California with my international friends ;). In October, I was able to take a road trip up to Northern California to visit family and high school friends. In March, I took another road trip to California to visit friends from college. I spent both Thanksgiving and Christmas with my family and in December/January I returned to Minnesota to work as the RN at Camp Friendship. After Winter Camp, I spent time with wonderful friends in Chicago. All the while, I was building and maintaining solid friendships with a group of young women in Tucson. (Tribe girls, I treasure you!) God has definitely used various people in the churches and Bible Studies I have attended while living in Tucson to really teach, encourage, and prepare me. Thank you all!

After I received that email from Ashley the last week in January I began communication with Children of the Promise right away. I saw God's hand in a million tiny details... and now I'm at the airport and will be checking in for my flight to Haiti in about 30 minutes. I'm especially in awe of the way God has worked through the financial details (which sometimes aren't so tiny). To a few: THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR SUPPORT! Your generosity is a blessing to me.

How can you get involved?

Well, I'm glad you asked! You can start by visiting www.childrenofthepromise.org to learn more about this ministry. You can also follow the COTP blog: www.childrenofthepromise.blogspot.com

And if you would like to pray, please pray
-that we will have a safe flight
(I am flying with a group of 8 volunteers that will be staying for a week)
-that I will build great friendships the long-term staff and other volunteers
-pray for the health of the infants at the orphanage
-pray for children in the Cap Haitien area for safety, health, and protection

Well, I have to walk across the street to the international terminal so I better get moving! I'm glad I have friends like who want to take this journey with me!


1 comment:

  1. AMY! You are amazing!
    Parts of your story sound so familiar - it seems like jsut yesterday I was searching for the 'what to do next' and guess where God sent me? An amazing little summer camp all the way around the other side of the world! (I think you know the one :p)
    What an awesome adventure, it sounds like you're exactly where you are meant to be, doing what you're menat to be doing. It's a great feeling, isn't it? I'm so happy for you!
    Take care, m'dear. Have an amazing time, learn lots, touch lives, and (almost the most important part) keep us informed!
    xxx
    Claire

    ReplyDelete